Wiener schnitzel (often incorrectly spelled Weinersnitchel) is a type of schnitzel made of a thin, breaded, pan-fried veal cutlet. It is one of the most known specialties of Viennese cuisine, and one of the most famous Austrian national dishes. It's also very popular in neighboring countries, especially Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Italy or Switzerland.
- Wiener schnitzel meaning: the name comes from the German language and it means "Viennese cutlet".
- Wiener schnitzel English pronunciation: /ˈviːnər ˈʃnɪtsəl/
- Wiener schnitzel German pronunciation: [ˈviːnɐ ˈʃnɪtsl̩]
- Wiener schnitzel in Czech: "vídeňský řízek"
Obsah / Contents
How to eat/serve Wiener Schnitzel?
Wiener schnitzel is usually served with potatoes, potato salad or fries. In addition, it's usually garnished with some kind of vegetables and lemon. The best drink to complement Wiener schnitzel is a good light beer.
Wiener Schnitzel (Weinersnitchel) recipe
- Total: 30 minutes
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 10 minutes
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 4x veal schnitzel (cutlet), 150 – 180 g each (you can use pork or turkey too)
- 2 eggs
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g coarse-ground flour
- Clarified butter and/or plant oil
- Salt, pepper
- Slices of lemon
Step to make it:
- Remove any skin from the schnitzels and beat until thin.
- Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Prepare three different plates and place flour in the first, beaten eggs by a fork in the second and breadcrumbs in the third.
- Coat every schnitzel on both sides in flour, then draw through the beaten eggs, ensuring that no part of the schnitzel remains dry. Finally, coat the schnitzel in the breadcrumbs and carefully press down the crumbs using the reverse side of the fork.
- On a large pan, melt enough clarified butter for the schnitzels to be able to swim freely in the oil.
- When the fat is so hot that it bubbles up, place the schnitzel in the pan.
- Fry for 2 - 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn using a spatula and fry on the other side too.
- Place the schnitzel on kitchen paper to dry off.
- Garnish with slices of lemon.
- Serve with potatoes, potato salad or fries.
Wiener Schnitzel (Weinersnitchel) video tutorial
Check this Wiener Schnitzel (Weinersnitchel) video tutorial. It will perfectly teach you, how to make it:
Wiener Schnitzel (Weinersnitchel) photo tutorial
In addition, you can check this step by step in-depth photo tutorial here.
Wiener Schnitzel (Weinersnitchel) more photos:
Pin this for later or for friends:
How to eat/serve Wiener Schnitzel?
Wiener schnitzel is usually served with potatoes, potato salad or fries. In addition, it’s usually garnished with some kind of vegetables and lemon. The best drink to complement Wiener schnitzel is a good light beer.
Wiener Schnitzel recipe:
Here you can find a Wiener Schnitzel recipe.
Wiener Schnitzel video tutorial:
Here you can find a Wiener Schnitzel video tutorial.
What is the correct spelling of Wiener Schnitzel?
Correct spelling is Wiener Schnitzel.
Did this post help you? Share it with your friends! It can help them too!
Adriana & Matěj
Travelers, sport enthusiasts and photographers behind this blog. Creating high-quality and informative guides for your travels. Read more about us here.
We are regularly updating all of our posts, however all the places are changing quickly and sometimes it's hard to see all the changes. Theferove we would be glad if you could tell us about any change you have found.