One of the hidden gems of Czech nature is only 45 min. from Prague. Vyhlídka Máj viewpoint has its magic in a peaceful atmosphere where you can enjoy the beautiful view of the Vltava River and its meanders. It’s a nice “horseshoe bend” but not the same as on River Colorado, it is much greener! The Vltava flows here between the cliffs of the Slapy dam. If you are looking to escape crowds, we recommend including the Máj viewpoint in your Prague itinerary.
Although the popularity of the Vyhlídka Máj viewpoint is increasing, it still retains its natural beauty – you won’t find any railing there or an artificial viewing deck. It is simply just a rock. It’s situated only 1 kilometer from Teletín village. The road leads through the meadow and it continues into the forest. There is just one stand with snacks nearby. There are only a few parking spots, but you can leave your car on meadow nearby Teletín.
The viewpoint itself is really just a place on the rock. If you want to have the best view of the entire meandering, you have to climb down a bit. Be careful! There is also another – slightly safer place, which is located to the left of the Vyhdlíka Máj viewpoint. All you need to get there is to follow a tiny footpath on the left, which leads a little bit down the hill. There are usually fewer people so you can enjoy this beautiful canyon of the Vltava River in tranquility.
Interesting facts and a little bit of history
In the past, before the Slapy dam was built, the Vltava River was quite dangerous there due to its fast rapids. All raftsmen who were bringing wood into Prague were afraid of “Svatojánké” rapids.
Máj = May in English.
How to get to Vyhlídka Máj Viewpoint?
- By Car – the easiest way to get there. You can park in the village of Teletín, a small car park can be found here: 49.8286244N, 14.4678408E; It’s more likely to be full, in that case, you can park on a meadow here: 49.8330381N, 14.4698525E or in some of the surrounding villages. There is a nice hike to the Bednář viewpoint as well, so you can leave your car in Vysoký Újezd and follow the blue marking (later yellow) to Teletín waterfalls. Don’t expect big waterfalls (it’s more like tiny cascades on the stream.
- By Bus – You reach Teletín by bus which goes from Štěchovice to Benešov. Find your bus connection on IDOS.
- By Bike – Why not prolong your Máj trip with a ride around the Slapy Water Reservoir? The surroundings of Slapy are very nice and rugged. You will not be alone who will come to the bike on the prospect
Where to go next?
Just about 170 meters north, you can find another viewpoint – Mařenka. And 200 meters further, there is one more called Myšák.
If you want to hike a little further than a few hundred meters, we can recommend another beautiful viewpoint, called Bednář viewpoint. You can also continue to Teletínské waterfalls (but really do not expect waterfalls, it is just a creek).
Few tips before you visit Vyhlídka Máj V
- Take a map or GPS if you plan some hiking around. We recommend mapy.cz which has the best tourist maps you can find. Mapy.cz are available offline – you can download them for free to your mobile.
- Don’t forget water – There is no pub in Teletín, just a little stand near the viewpoint.
- You can plan your lunch in some of the villages nearby. The nearest pubs can be found in Nedvězí or Krňany.
Accommodation – where to stay near Máj?
You will find the nearest accommodation in Slapy area. It is a very nice water reservoir. A lovely pension is the Pension Janata. Do you want to try something unique? What about one night at Castle Lešany? It is not even expensive!
Accommodation in Prague
If you prefer to stay in Prague, we recommend Old Town Apartment Konviktska directly in the city center (5-minute walk from Charles Bridge) with a great owner and the best reviews. Book right now, because it’s popular and usually fully booked early.
Another great option is MOODs Charles Bridge.
If you prefer a cheap hostel, than go to The Republic Garden with a great location and good reviews.
Tip for your next trip in the Czech Republic:
- 39 Best Places to Visit in the Czech Republic: Insider’s Guide
- Is Wild Camping Legal in Czech Republic? Practical Tips
- Karlštejn Castle: Insider’s Guide – Day trip from Prague, Czech Republic
More tips for your travels:
We have prepared for you this comprehensive list of links, discounts, and resources for travel planning in one place. Bookmark this page and whenever you plan a vacation in the future, just open it and save yourself a lot of time.
1) Where to book accommodation?
- We prefer to find an accommodation using Booking.com.
- It's also worth it to compare with AirBnb.
- Read also our guide - How to search for the best accommodation.
2) How to find cheap flights?
- We recommend searching for flights on Skyscanner.
- Read also our complete guide - How to find cheap flights.
3) How to rent a car?
- We recommend a comparison portal RentalCars.com to compare the best offers of all available rental companies.
Pin this for later or for your friends:
Vyhlídka Máj – FAQ – frequently asked questions:
How to get to Vyhlídka Máj Viewpoint?
By Car – the easiest way to get there. You can park in the Teletín village.
By Bus – You reach Teletín by bus which is going from Štěchovice to Benešov. Find your bus connection on Google Maps.
Where to park near Vyhlídka Máj?
Where to stay near Vyhlídka Máj?
What other places are worth visiting nearby Vyhlídka Máj?
If you want to hike to another viewpoint, we can recommend another beautiful one – Bednář viewpoint. You can also continue to Teletínské waterfalls (but really do not expect waterfalls, it is just a creek).
If you would like to go north from Máj, there is another viewpoint – Smetana’s overlook (you can get there by following the yellow mark in the other direction).
Did this post help you? Share it with your friends! It can help them too!